Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns [Playtest]
A downloadable Space Western TRPG
Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns is a tabletop adventure game set amongst Humanity's countless frontier worlds. Hundreds of years have passed since the birth of faster than light (FTL) warpdrives, allowing for mankind to spread across the galaxy. Technology in this new world is powerful, but can't work miracles, and humanity is still plagued with problems of greed, class, politics, and war.
Players in DDHS take on the many roles required to run a starship. With a player character captain at the helm, you'll work together as a ragtag crew picking up odd jobs: Bounty hunters, traders, mercenaries, pirates, smugglers, explorers- whatever the galaxy throws your way. All in service of the desperate attempt to keep your ship flying and your debts paid. On the surface you'll face off in face-paced, lethal gunslinging action.
Inspired by the intrepid crews of the Millennium Falcon, Serenity, The Bebop, The Milano, The Rocinante, The Kestrel, The Ghost, and of course, the USS Enterprise.
In this game you'll find:
- Crew creation: Create characters together with a unique draft system. Randomly generate a past career and a reason you left it, then pick up some roles.
- Leader system: A good crew is only as good as their captain. Follow them to victory, or disobey them to mutiny.
- Fast paced combat: Quick draws, sword duels, run and cover action. Inspired by classic westerns and modern sci-fi.
- Ship combat for all: Easy to use rules that involve the entire crew. Pilots fly, mechanics fix, and gunners take down enemy ships!
- Build your own ship: Design your perfect starship, fix it, upgrade it, give it personality.
- Bounty generator: Track down, fight, and capture a different target every time. Bring 'em in alive for the full reward.
- Across The Rosmarus Sector: An introductory adventure set in the distant and corrupt Rosmarus sector. Designed get you up and running with the game and familiarized with the rules.
DDHS is rules light and easy to run, but doesn't stray from meaningful complexity. The rules aim to strike a balance between mechanically engaging and non-intrusive, with design ques from the OSR, NSR, and modern TTRPGs. It's modular and designed to be easy to hack, allowing you to take the game into your own hands and make it your own. Best played in medium length to long campaigns.
This version is designed for play-testing, but the rule set is at least 95% complete. Future versions will add more referee focused content, improved layout, art, and clearer rules. If you'd like to get involved with the development, have any feedback, or just want to share your experience, please reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via twitter @robotopologist. Thanks!
|Tags||ddhs, OSR, Sci-fi, Space, srd, Tabletop role-playing game, Western|
|Average session||A few hours|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- DDHS: 2 Year Anniversary UpdateApr 12, 2022
- Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns version 0.5 is out!Jul 06, 2020
- DDHS v0.4.0 – Rules clarifications and moreApr 19, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I've made a bit of a quarantine project of doing in-depth readings of RPG playtests. I'd like to do one for your game, but don't want to send you a couple thousand words if you're not interested. Would you be okay with me doing one of those for Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns?